Thursday, June 18, 2015

Finding my style

I'm struggling.  In lots of areas.  But one area in particular is my art.

I'm fairly decent at copying other styles but I don't really know what my own style is.  I've been trying to find it for years.  I keep experimenting but can't find what truly feels right for me.  I know I just have to keep going, keep painting, keep drawing, but I'm being overrun by artwork that no one will buy and I don't have the wall space for it!

If I had the time I would actually take an art lesson.  I've never been formally trained or even taken an art class.  I've done my own research of artists and styles.  I love going to art museums and I've been to some of the best in the world - El Prado in Madrid, Parc Guell in Barcelona, and Louvre in Paris.  I've been to "off the beaten path" places like Montmartre in Paris, La Rambla in Barcelona, Art on the Lake in Guntersville, Alabama, City Museum in St. Louis.  I love them all.  But I can't seem to find my own "voice" in my art.

I guess my reason for writing about my struggle is to help myself figure it out.  I love bright colors but I also love black and white.  I paint flowers because I can't grow them!  I paint little birds in different colors because I think they are cute.  I've done collages of places I've been using realia and mixed media (I actually enjoy this style).  I paint owls because I was a Chi Omega and each time I paint one I reminisce about the good times my sorority sisters and I shared.  I paint quotes because I like words.  But I find myself still just imitating something I saw on Pinterest or Etsy.  I want my own style.

I'm a little folk art but given time and patience, neither of which I possess, I could do landscapes or portraits.  I've tried those and they aren't really my favorite.  I like painting common, everyday things like pictures of fruits, flowers, birds, crosses. 

I have other interests, like writing, refashioning clothes, and home decor, but I feel like these hobbies hold me back from my art.  I want to incorporate it all.  Maybe a clothing line or home furnishings featuring my own quotes and images in a style all my own?  But there's the problem again.  A style all my own. 

Guess I'll keep working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment